I’m sorry I’ve been MIA for a bit! I’ve been crazy busy at work, and my moments in the evenings have been filled with cooking, packing lunches, dinners with friends, attending speaker series, doing housework, and going to bed early to get up for the gym. Every week, I think things might calm down, and they never do! I’m loving it so much though because my days are filled with helping kids, supporting teachers, and trying to figure out the big picture of my new role. I’m never bored, which means my days are flying by. I can’t believe it’s almost time for Thanksgiving break, and I cannot wait to see family and rest for a few days.
The weather has cooled off here (relatively speaking), and Matt and I have been enjoying drinking fall beers and getting cozy in new restaurants. We tried a restaurant called Gemma from a couple of Napa transplants, and had a lovely dinner at the bar. I’ve never had fried olives before.
I haven’t been too creative in the kitchen during the week because I’ve been reverting to quick and easy favorites. Fridays and Sundays have been my cooking days, and I made this delicious butternut squash pizza last week.
What’s new in the blog world? Does anyone have any awesome fall recipes?
Happy weekend.Read More
Current obsession edition:
1. I go through a chip and hummus combo every few weeks – right now it’s these pumpkin crisps with jalapeño and cilantro Hope Hummus.
2. I got a new iPod after my nano from college stopped keeping a charge. It was a tiny one that couldn’t hold all of my songs at once. I put a bunch of old country music on the new one and I’m enjoying driving around with the windows, down pretending I’m in high school.
3. Kath introduced me to this foundation a few months again and I just love it. It took a while for me to get used to it because I think my skin was addicted to Clinique, but now I’m really happy with the color and moisture.
4. This weather. I know some people like to get right to boots and coats, but 70’s are just fine with me. Plus, when temps have been in the 100’s forever and ever, 70 feels pretty darn cold.
5. The stuffed squash at Origin Kitchen – this may been the best vegetarian dish I’ve ever had. Matt and I were both in love with it when we had it last Saturday night. Acorn squash, crispy kale, wheatberries, pomegranate, and a walnut syrup….
6. Entering my 30th year. My 29th is this weekend, and I’m in a good place at this age. There have been so many transitions in my 20’s – grad school, moving for Matt to go to grad school, getting married, moving for Matt’s career opportunity, and a long, frustrating job search. But for the first time in a while, I’m just living my life, going to work every day, and not gearing up for any major change (knock on wood:))
Happy weekend!Read More
-My car broke down at 5:55am on Monday morning. What a start to the week!
-I went to the grand opening of the J Crew in my neighborhood – the food was excellent, but everything was $89 or $98. When did sweaters and shirts become so expensive?
-Matt and I tried a new restaurant: Scotch & Sausage. Most of the dogs are $6 – $8 and the fries are amazing – giant and crunchy on the outside. Loved it!
-We also tried a Spanish tapas place, and for the first time in my life, I didn’t like pork belly! It was fried and drizzled with chocolate, but too rich. Sounds enticing, right?
-I led a parent presentation on student success tonight. I was super nervous beforehand, but was surprised at how at-ease I felt once I got started.
-Since I’ve started working in a nut-free environment, I actually think my cravings for peanut butter have decreased. I just ordered Nikiki’s Cake Batter Coconut Butter and can’t wait to try it!
-I think something is biting me at night. Could I have brought home bed bugs from Turkey?Read More
I’m about 4 weeks into work and I’m finally starting to breathe. It’s been both wonderful and challenging to create my role – I have so much flexibility yet there are so many questions and things to figure out along the way. I’m really trying to get some organizational systems in place to make my job easier down the road. Simple things like trying to figure out how I want to organize my spreadsheets of students and if I want to take meeting notes and student updates on my iPad versus pen and paper have been challenging because I keep going back and forth and need to just decide! I used to rely on a planner, but I’m trying to use an electronic calendar now. Despite the little things, I can’t believe how much I’ve accomplished in just a few weeks and I’m so happy to be using the knowledge I gained in grad school. It’s slowly coming back to me and now I’m in the swing of things. I’m still feeling so lucky to be working in such a supportive and creative environment. After so much uncertainty over the last year, I can’t tell you how good it feels to know I’m in the right place.
I’ve had lots of fun weekends this summer, so last weekend was dedicated to getting organized. After being out of town and putting everything on the back burner since starting work, I really needed to get my life in order. I’ve never been so excited to sleep until 7:30, eat nut butter, and go to bootcamp on a Saturday morning! Oh how life has changed in the past couple of years. I also cleaned, did laundry, roasted vegetables, filed receipts, organized my tangle of jewelry, and paid the bills. Saturday night, we grabbed dinner at the bar across the street with friends and spent hours talking. Matt and I split a few things, including a huge, juicy pimento and bacon burger. I feel rejuvenated!
See ya.Read More
-It’s almost August guys and the triple digits are here! It’s so cold inside Equinox that I actually love it when I step outside. Can you believe I only have two more weeks there!?
-I’ve started putting some ideas together and meeting with folks at my new school, and I’m getting so anxious to get started!
-I’m back into the swing of healthy eating, and loving summer fruits, but I still feel like I’m carrying around 5 lbs of Turkey weight. And I don’t mean the bird.
-When does Mad Men return? I miss Don.
-I need a real alarm clock that’s pretty. Any recs.?