I’m officially obsessed with all things wedding. Now that I’ve figured out my job for next year, I’m no longer stressed with the idea of planning a wedding! And the worst is over – we have a date, a venue, and a tentative guest list. So I’ve moved on to searching for inspiration – I’ve been spending time every night searching for bridesmaids dresses, centerpiece ideas, honeymoon resorts in Greece, wedding bands – anything wedding related, I’ve been searching for it! And boy, there’s a lot of inspiration out there on the internets. It’s easy to feel like I’m wasting hours and hours on the web, so I sure hope the browsing is helping me figure out my vision.
I’d like to think I’m very slowly narrowing down my ideas by making note of things I like, but it’s surprisingly hard to try and pin-point what I actually like. For instance, a wedding gown with a pop of color – I see a picture and think it looks awesome, but I just can’t determine if that’s me or not. Then there’s also the budget, which is helping me narrow down things quite a bit! For example, I know that a photo booth and large floral arrangements will not be at my wedding. A third factor that’s been making the planning a bit difficult is the decision to have somewhat of a destination wedding. If you’re just joining in, Matt and I are getting married on Bald Head Island in North Carolina. While a ton of weddings happen there each year, bringing rentals and such over on a ferry can be tricky, which again, helps me narrow down my vision.
Things I’m sure about:
- A church ceremony
- Not writing my own vows (though I’ll customize the traditional ones) – it’s too much pressure!
- Buffet/stations (as opposed to plated) and a seated dinner
- There will be cake, absolutely no cupcakes, pie, or other dessert can replace it!
- DJ – although not my first choice, they are great for dancing and we just don’t have the budget to ferry over a band
- No limo (maybe some kind of golf cart rental?)
- Colors will be some variation of teal, royal blue, and either coral or tangerine.
- Having a weekend coordinator who will help with island logistics and take over on the day-of
Things I’m still debating:
- Formal versus casual invitations
- The menu – way too much to think about right now! But there will be booze, and hopefully seafood (since we’re on an island)
- The dress! I have no idea what might look good on me, although I’ve pretty much ruled out a huge ball gown. I tried one on for fun and it looked horrible. I do want something that’s not too plain, but not too busy/out there either. And not too tight so I can eat and dance!
- Whether or not we can afford favors/welcome bags
- Bridesmaids dresses (I’d really like something different)
- First dance song!
So that’s what I’ve thought about thus far. And, if something is not on this list, then I’m probably still debating that too. It’s a start, right?